Tuesday, April 27, 2021
The Return of That ReeB Show, and a bit of history
It's fantastic to be returning to internet radio. I wanted to first give you a bit of history of my on-goimg career within the music industry, and internet radio broadcasting. I have worked in the music industry for 25 years, in one fashion or another. In the beginning, I played bass in several local punk bands in Houston, TX. and Portland, OR. Never really taking it seriously, I was easily replaced in all of the bands I played in. After admitting that fact to myself, I realized that my true passion was in support of local bands, being a promoter and band manager. That started in 2004(ish), and, with the internet really changing the face of the industry, I jumped at the chance to go global. In 2005, before there were billions of podcasters, youtubers, and social media spotlight grabbers, there was this little known thing called internet radio. As with many other new things, it was unregulated and made it something for me to stand out from other promoters. So, I spent the money and got a pretty decent set-up, and started doing 3 hour shows on a few underground internet stations. It wasn't hard to build a following or produce shows that were unique, having all kinds of contacts with bands through promoting/managing. By 2007, I had grown tired of being restricted by only doing recorded music, and presented the idea of streaming live from various venues in Washington State. This was the start of ReeB LiVe! Radio, and, I was one of the first of my kind in America to offer what I could, not only for the bands exposure, but also as a draw for the venues themselves, as it was a unique opportunity for bands to be heard worldwide, and sparked interest in the venues I streamed from. This new venture became my main focus, doing live, uncensored interviews, airing live performances, and focusing on venue/band relations. As the show progressed and growed, so did my ability to expand, and I started several side businesses under the ReeB LiVe! monacher. in 2012, a family emergency occured that caused me to take a hiatus, and move back to Texas. About a year later, I decided to start over, and began to contact bands throughout Texas to get rolling again. at that juncture, I found that what I helped pioneer, the live broadcasting from venues, had exploded, and there was someone broadcasting from most of the venues around. It was time to rethink and regroup. With the contacts I had in the industry, I was able to work out scheduling touring bands to come to my home before or after a show in town, provide them a place to wash clothes, rest in a real bed, and do an exclusive, LIVE interview and performance, directly from my living room. Of course, that brought no money into the mix, and was short lived. Video was the way to go, and after investing in equipment, I spent the better part of 2016 filming live performances. There's still a few of those up on youtube somewhere. 2017 I decided with a full time job, and all I was doing for the music scene (for free, mostly) was becoming too much. I ended up just a social media poster of music, and ended up moving to a small town to "slow down". Well, in 2019, I was "encouraged" by an old DJ friend to aplly on an internet radio station for a weekly 3 hour timeslot. Did, to the best of my knowledge, 5 episodes, before having a stroke and losing a little over a decade of memory. So.......
Here I am AGAIN. Ready to do what I do, and bring music to the masses from bands you may never hear about anywhere else.
This is a big deal for me. I am hoping that it helps with cognotive issues from the stroke, which would be GREAT...but alsdo, I feel reinvigorated and ready to share stories, music, and whatever happens, happens. I hope you enjoy the episodes, whether you decide to tune in live, or listen to the recorded versions.
Much love, Fuckerzzz!
-Jeff "ReeB" Cleary
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



















No comments:
Post a Comment